Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Coastal Devistation Tour Continued...

We caught the end of Tosh 1's sound check and someone playing banjo in the parking lot. Then it was time to play. We had a good time full on rockaz style!  Members of the Dis-N-Dat band (the backing band for Tosh 1 that night) were groovin' out at the edge of the backstage area. That is always a good sign. We met a lot of people who were very excited about our music after the set.
 Tosh 1 hit the stage singing many of his father's classics and adding a few of his own twists, ending the night with original Tosh1 hip hop and special guests.
Marcus 'Rangotan' Smith of Dis-N-Dat was rockin' the drums with the biggest smile on his face all night. A true reggae drummer! I chilled with Marcus after the show. This is a down to earth Rastamon. We had good conversation, cultivating the positive vibration and will likely be doing shows with Dis-N-Dat in the future.
 Becky and Jeff Clausen were at the show. Claw your family rocks!
 Later that night as we headed to Alex's buddies place, totally exhausted, we were accosted by a drunken fool. This dude was something else. At first we made light of it and laughed it off. Then he started zoning in on me. "Do people take you seriously? (with heavy sarcasm) "You look like a fucking spiders nest." He kept going on and on.... Now I am a person who meditates on peaceful living. I work hard at it because the fact is, I have to. He crossed the line with me and things were headed to a bad place. I will not bother with all the details. Luckily one of his buddies distracted him and it was pretty much over. As he walked away he said "I'm gonna get my gun"
  It has been a long time since the days when I hung out at dancehall parties  where occasionally things would get out of hand and some coked out sketchball would pull a gun, or stab someone. I have been in these situations several times before and  count myself lucky to have come through unscathed. People like this guy amaze me. What a life he must have. Get help man! You are the master of your destiny. You do not have to live a slave to anger, hatred and misery.
 I was fired up and could not sleep. I ended up talking with Alex's buddy Brad until the sun was up. A good man with similar interests as me, I could have kept on talking. With only two hours left before I had to head to the next ferry, it was time to get some sleep.
 Morning, brutal... I cannot sleep in the car or on ferries, so no sleep was had. Off to Block Island and Captain Nicks for the last night of this run. We were expecting a jam packed house and were ready for it, sleep or not. Fifteen minutes before showtime the band outside was rockin' and the audience was roaring! We were psyched. The changeover took a little longer than everyone expected. People filtered out... Sunday night is reggae night down the street every week,  just a stones throw away. A ten piece reggae band from the mainland was pumping out covers of all the classics.  Needless to say we did not end with the triumphant bang we were hoping for. So it goes... We did have a nice intimate crowd (complete with blissed out dude looking like he was having a transcendental experience who gave us the finger when we switched from reggae to funk) that showed us great appreciation after the show. Marc bought us a round of tequilas, and we headed over to check out the other band. The place was packed. We met some other folks who had been at our show and danced for a while. A local dj who had checked us out, got our cd and promised to promote the show next time. He was full of positive feedback and had a very genuine vibe.
 I must say, the people on Block Island were very down to earth and friendly. I look forward to going back.
 All in all it was a good run.
 
In the music business it is generally thought that saying things that are not all "positive", is bad. Well I am choosing to tell you about the ups and downs because that is reality. I find reality more interesting than  bubble gum promotional type BS and I hope you do too.
 BTW, if anyone has a lap top that is WIFI capable, in useable condition, and would like to donate it, I would be better able to keep up with this blog. You can contact me: at booking@pulseprophets.com . Make sure to put my name, EliJah in the subject heading. That would be awesome!
Keep the Peace,
Pulse Prophets